Friday, April 16, 2010

Success!!











We have successfully installed wells in 2 villages that previously had none! That is so amazing. It is life-changing for so many people.

The villages of Lowuma and Gbeleyankei are now filling buckets of water from a well, instead of from a stream. The wells were completed last week, after I had left the jungle. The well technician, Koko, said that they celebrated by dancing. I wish that I could have been there, but maybe I can go back next year and see it for myself. I'm posting a photo of Gbeleyankei's stream here.
It was such a wonderful experience for me that I dont know for sure where to start recounting it to you. I decided to tell you the good news first - the success - rather than chronologically. I will continue to make postings on the blog with details of the well construction and my experiences.

The work was all done by hand, as there is no power in the villages (just manpower). The whole village was involved in the work, from bringing sand from the creek to lowering the culverts into the wells. I'm posting a few photos here, to whet your appetite. The people are very hard-working and strong. They dug sand out of the stream to mix concrete for the culverts. In Gbeleyankei (pronounced Bee-yan-kay), they carried buckets of sand on their heads for about 1/3 of a mile. I walked out there with them and took photos, but didn't offer to carry anything back. Women much older than me did, though. I've had a comfortable life, that's for sure.
Besides the 2 new wells, we plan to repair 4 wells that are currently not pumping - in Gatema, Konjade, Kenata, and Kalata. The Gatema repair will be substantial, requiring installation of more culverts. The other 3 wells only require the pump to be set deeper, as they are currently above the water level.
More to come.....



No comments:

Post a Comment