Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Walking a tightrope


I finally got used to driving the motorhome. It took some getting used to, though. The first hurdle was the radio. I had brought some audio books from the library, to entertain myself during the long drive. I accidentally got the CD player on shuffle, and I couldn't quite understand what was going on in that book!

My biggest hurdle was at a toll booth in Oklahoma. It wasn't really a hurdle, it was more like a tightrope or a balance beam. Yes, most like a balance beam. I came up to an unmanned toll booth to get a ticket, and when I opened my window, I realized that there is a screen on it. That's different. And, no door by the driver. That's different, too. So, I had to go out the side door, as it's the only door to the motorhome. Well, they don't make those toll lanes very wide, and I couldn't even open the door all of the way. There was a 2.5 ft high concrete barrier in the way. I sucked in my gut, squeezed through the door, and stepped on top of the balance beam. I walked along it to the end, jumped off, and got my ticket. Jumping off proved to be easier than climbing back up, but I made it. By that time, there was a long line of traffic behind me at the toll booth. No wonder that people hate motorhomes!

No comments:

Post a Comment